Stop Light Safety
1. At green light, do not just proceed instantly. Look both ways to make sure that there are no other cars still going.
2. Look ahead to make sure the traffic isn’t stop. Wait until there is room for your car on the other side of the intersection, do not wait in the center of the intersection.
3. At a yellow light, evaluate your speed, the distance to the light, and the time the light has been yellow. If there is time to cross the intersection, proceed with caution. If not, brake. Never “gun it” through a yellow light.
4. At a red light, always stop. Never run a red light.
5. If you are making a turn at a red light, first make sure there are no posted restriction. Check the vehicles on the left and the right, and oncoming traffic, making sure that your path is clear. Also check for pedestrians and cyclists.
6. Turning left? Wait for the arrow. If there is no arrow or if it legal to cross without an arrow, be aware of all oncoming traffic before making a turn. Never hang in the center of the intersection to wait to make a turn.
7. If the traffic lights are not functioning, treat the intersection as if there are 4-way stop signs.